Sunday, June 3, 2007

Can I make a difference?

I'm sitting in an airport watching the democratic predidential debate. As is often the case, you could get the impression that the world's problems are overwhelming and that, utlimately, we have many more questions than answers to the world's problems. I don't mean it's hopeless, only that we face issues that are so great, and so complicated, that it does make you wonder what we as individuals can do to make our world better.

Obviously, as citizens we should vote and be involved in the political process. But I don't believe that is all we can do. Especially as a follower of Christ, I also have the responsibility to live in the world as salt and light, which includes living out the love of Christ in my own community. It may be only a small drop in the ocean of need around us, but it is my calling.

The Old Testament book of Ruth demonstrates that God often uses seemingly insignificant people doing insignificant good works, to accomplish remarkable changes in the world. It is our calling to care and to do what we can.

No comments: